Monday, February 1, 2016

The Narrow Road

This morning, I was blessed to be able to lead worship at a small church in Bellevue.   Now when I say small, it is important to understand that this is a very intentional decision made by the church, not to be elitist or snobby but rather because they have a heart to be like the church in the new Testament.  A close knit community with a heart for Christ, each other, and out reach.    I have led there a few times and am blessed each time by the sweet sense of community and their genuine hearts for the lost.   This morning, Pastor Chuck was speaking from Matthew 7:13-14 "Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it"  He talked about the narrow gate vs. the wide and how so many people who think they know the Lord, know of the Lord but have not made Him the Lord of their lives.    He said this not to scare anyone but simple to remind us that salvation, is not just about a one time choice we make to pray a sinners prayer and accept Jesus into our hearts, but about a choosing daily, to walk with the Lord and to follow Him on the narrow path.  He challenged us to look at our lives and question if we were living to expand His kingdom, or to expand our own.   I have to honest....this threw me a little.   I love the Lord.  Deeply, truly.   I do not doubt that I am a child of God or feel that my salvation is at risk.  But I began to think.....what is my motive for the choices I make.   For the money I spend.   For the people I spend time with.   Am I choosing these things based on a desire to please myself, to please others, or to please Him?    So many times when I look through my Facebook feed I see comments like "please send good thoughts my way" or "sending out vibes and happy thoughts"...."I would never say something like that!" I would think to myself...to be so obviously vague and unspiritual....but then I have to stop and examine my own heart.   Who am I to judge another?    How many times have I watered down a lyric in a song to make it more appealing to a broader audience?   How many times have I posted something "politically correct" on Facebook to avoid conflict?   How many times have I avoided a conversation that I felt the tugging of the Spirit to have, because I was afraid of what the response might be?     We believers have to make the choice to daily make that choice....the narrow or the wide road.   I think it is so important now more then ever because our culture is getting more and more watered down.  More and more afraid of conviction and passion.    More concerned with what is cool or relevant then with the truth.    Does this mean we have to do a total overhaul of everything in our lives?    That is between you and the Lord but my guess is that most of us are seeking the Lord, but maybe have some areas we have yet to yield to Him.  Or some areas where we are selfishly holding on to our own agenda or plan instead of giving Him full access to our lives.  Maybe an area where we are holding black out of fear, or lack of trust.   Perhaps it's misdirected passion or financial strain causing us to be cautious or distracted.    Whatever it is that keeps us from walking fully surrendered, pulling us over toward the wide road each day.   Those are the things we must turn back to the Lord.  

That last few days have been on the rough side for me....my mind has been so distracted with some tough circumstances that I had lost site of the Lord's hand....last night I opened my Bible to
Psalm 66 :1-7 and read this.
"Shout for joy to God, all the earth! Sing the glory of His name; make His praise glorious.  Say to God, "How awesome are Your deeds! So great is Your power that your enemies cringe before You.  All the earth bows down to you; they sing praises to you, they sing praises of our name"  Come and see what God has done, His awesome deeds for mankind!  He turned the sea into dry land, they passed through the waters on foot-Come, let us rejoice in Him."
 

 The narrow gate is not promised to be easy. It is not promised to be pretty or prosperous.   It is not even promised to be safe.   But I would rather walk that road with the God who can turn the seas into dry land, then the widest, easiest road surrounded by many others but apart from God.  
 In the arms of a Loving Father, it will be the most difficult most beautiful journey we can take.    But it will be worth it and He will be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment