Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Enter In

A couple of days ago, I had the privilege and honor of leading worship for the 1st-5th grade class at my church.    They recently went through some changes in structure and have been watching videos of worship songs instead of having a live person leading worship.   After discussing the idea of doing live worship once a month, I was asked to come in and lead a few songs.    For the whole week before I was praying over the songs, the kids, the leaders and what the Lord would want to say to those sweet kids.    The thing He kept telling me all week, and all morning on Sunday was, "You know I am here, but you still have to acknowledge my presence and enter in".   As I sat at the keyboard that morning it was ringing in my ears....those words.    God meets us, but we still have to enter in.   We still have to choose Him.   I told those sweet kids what the Lord had laid on my heart and let me tell you....did they ever enter in!    At one point I could not even hear my own voice over theirs!  And I received messages later stating that some of the kids had said it was a great morning of worship.    I stand here to say that I take no credit for that....none at all.    God showed up big time, and those kids entered in.    But this week I have been thinking about how childlike faith, and acknowledging and entering into His presence really go hand in hand.     I remember being a kid....the weight of the world not yet on my shoulders.    The heaviness and reality of life that comes with adulthood not yet rearing it's ugly head.    I remember trusting my Heavenly Father.  Even before I knew exactly what that meant.    I think that's part of it really.   The innocence.   The inhibition.   No awareness of the pressures or concerns of others thoughts toward your actions.   No fear of rejection.   Just simple, pure, affection for the Father.    Being completely honest with myself I know that when I worship, whether alone or on stage, I struggle to fully surrender.    To stand before Him with no agenda or concern for myself.    Maybe it's because as a musician/artist, there is more of a pressure and responsibility to present a good performance.  Maybe it's because there are those who might judge.   Or maybe we are too hard on ourselves.   No matter the reason...the struggle is real, as they say.    Children love with no agenda.   They love without much thought for why or how.   They are teachable and willing to listen.    And they trust fully with no need for justification.
Psalm 8:2 says "Through the praise of children and infants you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger".  I can't help but think that maybe this verse in part...is referencing that the Lord uses those with a pure heart and an innocent tongue to silence evil.  That this can be anyone from a tiny baby to an elderly person, who has a heart that is humble before the Lord. The kind of worshiper who sings to their Father as an act of praise, understanding that we are nothing apart from Him and capable of nothing without His power.   No agenda.    No pride. When we move out of the way, He can move freely.  Then the enemy can be silenced...I long to be this kind of worshiper.  





No comments:

Post a Comment