Thursday, March 17, 2016

In the Right Hands

I wrote my first song when I was 6.    Nothing fancy, not even a fully formed song, but I still remember it.   And still sing it occasionally.

 "I can do a lot of things, like run hop jump and song, I can climb and bounce a ball, but there's one thing I can't do, and that's to stop loving you, Jesus my Savior I love You."

Clearly not an award winning lyric, but it has a cute little melody and for whatever reason, I have never forgotten it all these years later.  
I got to thinking a few days ago about that song.   See the thing is, growing up my family didn't listen to much music, in fact it wasn't until I was in Jr. High that I started becoming interested in music as
listener.   I was not trained to write or sing, I didn't grow up in a musical family.    And yet somehow, like an instinct, I was a songwriter as early as I can remember.   I didn't try, not initially, but it just came out of me, like breathing.   Does this mean if you don't start writing as a child you aren't a real songwriter...absolutely not...nor does it mean I am an amazing writer myself.    But I know that I know that I know, that God planted that gifting in me from the beginning, and that song is a sweet reminder.    I can't help but wonder if thats the reason why the Lord brings that song to mind now and then.  

So today I was thinking about the hundreds of songs I have written over the last 25 years.   The dreams I had as a child.    My move to Tennessee 11 years ago.    And how still, I have not had any of my songs reach "the right hands".   The hands that would take a song and make it a hit, or bring it to that new artists who would take it across the world.  Or take it and bring it to churches across the country.  I'm not going to lie...it was a bit of a pity party.  But as I was thinking about all of this, I heard the Lord say to me "You are looking for the right hands in man, but the right hands are my hands."  I realized in that moment....I was thinking about it all wrong.   It doesn't matter who ever touches one of my songs.   From His hands I received my gifts and in His hands they are safe.  His mighty hands will use them in the way He chooses.  James 1:17 says "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. "  This verse reminds me that He is the giver of every gift.   And He does not make mistakes.   When I go Christmas shopping for my family I do my best to buy something that I think they will like, but God created us and knows our innermost being.   He has tailor made each person's gifting's to fit like a glove.    He knew before we were made, what would be the most effective tool for each of us to have, to bring Him glory.    This carries with it great honor, no matter the type of gifting.  Regardless of the platform we reach here on earth....when our gifts are placed in the hands of the giver....they are right where they need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment