Friday, May 13, 2016

Practice Makes Perfect

I have never handles pressure very well.    Even when I was young and there wasn't as much resting on the day to day, I would still get so nervous and anxious about things I had to do.  Even now, every time I perform I get nervous.  Even after years of experience.  No matter how much I practice or prepare.  Something in me does not fully trust myself.  This last Christmas I was a part of the Christmas production at my church.   We did the same production as the year before because it was so well received.   This meant a lot less pressure on those of us who had to learn songs, parts and dance moves....yes dance moves.    During the dress rehearsal, I was asked to sing a solo part in place of the woman who was suppose to do it because she was starting to feel sick and they wanted to have me stand in, in the event she was not well the next day.    I Was So Nervous.   It's silly really.   A room full of people I knew, only a handful of audience members there to give feedback and a choir right behind me giving their full support....what did I do?   Well I should probably mention that it was acapella for the first 2 lines and then the band and choir come in....so I go forward as I am suppose to, walk up to the mic, and start singing.   "This isn't so bad" I think to myself "I can do this no problem", and then the band and choir come in.    What had started as the right key, landed somewhere a little to low and while the choir came in with me, the band did not and it ended up a total train wreck.    I was absolutely mortified.   And while I never ended up having to sing for any of the performances, and nobody brought it up again....I desperately wanted redemption.   I knew in my heart, that had I been able to practice a few times, I would have been able to sing the song no problem.      
It got me thinking about how sometimes, even when the Lord gives me assurance ..even when I know I hear His voice or His clear direction for my life, I doubt and question and walk in anxiety.  
                                                                  Trust takes practice.  
I really believe one of the reasons the Lord allows things to happen in our lives in seemingly consecutive events, is because without the practice, we would not be ready when the big things come along.    Now this is not to say that I am some kind of pro when it comes to trusting the Lord...I have a looooong way to go.  But we have to experience Gods faithfulness time and again until it becomes our first reaction, our muscle memory.  
Last week, I wrote about Psalm 144.   That passage was so timely and sweet to me.   I read that passage a few days before the appraisal was scheduled to take place on my house that sold last month.   It was the last piece of the puzzle before we could move forward with the sale.    I had been praying, fasting, working hard, but this piece was out of my hands.   The Lord reminded me through that passage, that I had done everything I could do.   That I was called to simply worship and trust Him and that He was going to fight the battle I could not fight.   I knew in that moment, reading that passage, that everything would be ok.   I knew that He would provide, even if it meant losing the buyer and starting over.    I wasn't worried.   Not because I have mastered my Faith, but because through this whole process I have been practicing trusting Him....and today I found out that the appraisal results were exactly what they needed to be.    God's word says in Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God"    
He has got it.   His word tells us that.  But practice makes perfect...

No comments:

Post a Comment