Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wisdom My Friend

Last night around 9 PM, after hours of waiting and praying, My brother in law and his girlfriend had a baby.  Despite a few small complications, things went very well an all are healthy.    I am so stoked to be an auntie again :)    But while we are all thrilled and blessed by this new addition, It got me thinking about life, making decisions...being an adult hahaha.  I have been reading through Proverbs over the last few days and got a bit stuck on Proverbs 8.   The thing about it that strikes me....what I can't get out of my head, is that it talks about the value of wisdom.     I remember... not really that long ago, when I thought of wisdom as an important thing but did not totally understand it's value in my life.   I would pray for it occasionally but in many ways thought of it as more of an option rather then a necessity     while we know that no situation is ever perfect, nothing ever happens the way we plan, and no one ever acts in perfect wisdom all the time...Its interesting to me the older i get, the more i can see the reasons for the "do and dont" lists in scripture.  The more i understand that it isnt about control or manipulation, but protection, prosperity, and living in His best for His glory.   When we choose human wisdom and understanding, not only do we limit what God can do but we limit what we can do.   

One of the most interesting things I noticed in this Proverbs is that it says in verse 22-31

“The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works,
    before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,
    at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
    when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
    before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
    or any of the dust of the earth.
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
    when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
    and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
    so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30     Then I was constantly at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
    rejoicing always in his presence,
31 rejoicing in his whole world
    and delighting in mankind.


Wisdom was.    It was not created for our benefit.   It did come into play once we needed it or just on occasion when it comes in handy.    Wisdom is like a friend of God.   A foundational feature of His character, from before time began.    The other thing that really struck me about this passage.....when the Lord gives us His wisdom, it is wisdom for our circumstances, from an eternal perspective.   When you ask your mom for advice or look something up on the internet, or talk to a friend to see what they think....they can give you good advice sure.  They might even have a good perspective as someone in your life, familiar with the situation or struggle.   But when you ask the Lord for wisdom, He gives you a taste of the inheritance of understanding of the One who created it all.    This blows my mind a little....why would I not seek answers from the One who created the ability to even ask a question.  The one who, before it all, had a plan.    Who not only perfectly understand every little element of what we are experiencing but sees the entire picture from start to finish.   Who knows the deepest places of our hearts.    The chapter then goes on to say.



32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
    blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
    do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
    watching daily at my doors,
    waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
    and receive favor from the Lord.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
    all who hate me love death.”

Choosing wisdom, choosing to walk in the ways of wisdom is chasing a life of blessings.     But the most striking thing to me about this part of the passage is that is says those who fail to find wisdom harm themselves.    God's heart is for His children.   Wisdom is a gift and a blessing.   Choosing it is not about control.   It's not a rule....it's a gift.   His wisdom calls out to us, (verse 1 says "Does not wisdom call out")....it beckons us for our good and His glory.   And what a gift, what an example of the great Love of our creator for His children.   

No comments:

Post a Comment